Depending on your crowd you could make one or both of these creations. This is a sugary treat, but fun to make with the kids and especially for Halloween.
My eight year old loves these and likes to help. She put the banana halves on the sticks and helped decorate them.
- 6 bananas
- One 12 oz packages of white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup of mini chocolate chips
- Green food colouring
- Red cake decorating gel
- Black licorice twists
- Thick skewers or lollipop sticks
Makes 12 servings.
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil
2. Peel the bananas and cut in half
3. Carefully insert a skewer or lollipop stick into the center of each banana half and place on the cookie sheet. Please cookie sheet into the freezer until the banana halves are frozen. About 2 hours or up to overnight.
4. Melt the white chocolate slowly over simmering water or in a microwave. It is important to stir until the morsels are smooth and not overcook or over- stir the white chocolate. Follow the melting instructions on the package. I find adding about ¼ cup of pouring cream helps smooth the coating. They don’t tell you that in the directions.
5. For the ghosts: Take the bananas out of the freezer. Working quickly, dip the bananas into the melted white chocolate add a mini chocolate chip as eyes and a mouth (optional). Put the little ghosts back on the cookie sheet and back into the freezer.
6. For the Ogre toes: Mix some green food colouring into the melted white chocolate until you get the green colour you are looking for ( about 4-6 drops). Take the bananas out of the freezer and notch out a place for the toenail. Working quickly, dip the bananas into the melted green chocolate add a slice of black liquorish as the toenail and use the red gel to mark the knuckles and the cuticles, a tooth pick is a good tool to use for this job. Put the toes back on the cookie sheet and back into the freezer.
7. Let harden again and then they are ready to eat. If not using right away, store in the freezer in a zip lock baggie or other airtight container.