We carved our pumpkins yesterday and collected some of the seeds to roast. The best part of roasting your own seeds is you can customize the seasonings to meet the taste of almost any palette. I like mine savoury, but some of the kids like them sweet.
I even had a neighbour that used the powder from a box of Mac-n-Cheese to season them…anything goes. My son made these for me, he is ten. I handled the oven part, but the rest, including the photos was all him.
- 1 to 2 cups of fresh clean pumpkin seeds. Make sure they are dry before roasting.
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt per cup of pumpkin seeds
- Seasoning of choice: I used The Spice Hunter’s Pasta seasoning & Roasted Garlic. I also like Mild Curry Powder Blend or Cinnamon mixed with light brown sugar. Use about 2 Tablespoons of seasoning per cup of seeds.
1. Mix well and pour onto a clean, lined cookie sheet; lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Smooth out into one even layer.
2. Roast in an oven preheated to80 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until desired doneness.
3. Let cool slightly then transfer into a serving dish.
4. Season with salt to taste.
These are crunchy, satisfying and healthy. Kids love them and adults love them too. For a Halloween party make several flavors and put them in assorted dishes