Try as we might, it seems we never make it through the winter season without at least one cold or cough. To carry us through the sniffles, I make Chicken Tortellini Soup.
My Mum used to make it for me, and now I make it for my own daughter. Its warm tomato broth is the perfect thing to cure all ills. To ramp up the health factor, I add chopped spinach and chicken sausage, but these items can be omitted if desired.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 9 ounces fresh tortellini cheese
- 28 ounces crush tomatoes with juice
- 8 ounces baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt & Pepper Parmesan Cheese
1. In a deep heavy bottom pot heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion and chicken sausage. Cook until onion is wilted and sausage is cooked through.
2. Add chicken broth and italian seasoning.
3. Bring contents to a boil and add tortellini.
4. Boil until tortellini is cooked through.
5. Lower heat, stir in tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
7. Season soup with salt and pepper to our taste.
8. Serve hot with a generous handful or parmesan on top and a crusty baguette on the side.