For Valentine’s Day, I like to swirl strawberry jam into my favourite brownies and drizzle the top with white chocolate. The berry jam gives the deep chocolate a wonderful sweet touch that everyone adores.
The best part is that you can customize them yourself; use whatever flavor of jam you want or present them as a sweet gift to those you love. I’ve also included directions on how to use boxed brownie mix to make these, if that is easier for you. I prefer brownies from scratch, but I understand we don’t always have the time to make them that way!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teasoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup strawbery jam, warmed until pourable
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter a 13×9 baking dish and set aside.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together. I use the microwave, heating it in short intervals so the butter doesn’t explode. Stir the melted butter and chocolate together until fully combined. Cool slightly.
3. Beat together eggs, vanilla, sugar and cocoa powder in a mixer until combined. Pour the cooled chocolate into the mixer and beat until just combined.
4. Finally, add flour, baking powder and salt to the chocolate mixture and mix until the batter is totally incorporated. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl and the bottom of the bowl.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Swirl in the warmed jam with a fork. Don’t mix it in completely, just swirl it in with a knife so that a loose pattern forms.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until knife inserted in the batter comes out clean.
OR If you want to use prepared Brownie Mix do the following:
*Buy a Brownie Mix for a 13×9 pan (usually this is called “Family Size”).
*Prepare the batter using the “Cakey Brownie” option, this will hold up to the swirls better than the Fudge-like option.