To me rhubarb is the ultimate summer treat. I can’t get enough of it and eat it morning, noon and night for as long as fresh local stalks are available.
This is one of our favourite sweet little cakes. I can through it together in a snap and everyone loves. It also travels well making it perfect for taking to summer gatherings.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 ¼ cups chopped rhubarb in 1-inch pieces or smaller (or any other fruit)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
2. Scatter fruit evenly on the bottom of the pan and set aside.
3. Mix the sugar, flour, butter, eggs and almond in a large bowl until the batter is smooth and creamy. Then pour it over the fruit in the cake pan and sprinkle the top lightly with a little bit of sugar to make a nice crust.
4. Bake the cake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.