I find that more often than not, when I ask what I can bring to a barbecue, the answer is salad.
Last week I was a big hit when I showed up to a friends house with this super yummy salad. The creaminess of the avocado pairs beautifully with the tang of the citrus. And guess what? You can resourcefully make a delicious homemade dressing while you cut the salad!
You can also reinvent this salad with oranges, blood oranges or mandarins. There’s a fresh citrus fruit in season pretty much all year ’round.
- 2 heads, chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ large ripe avocados, chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup thinly sliced hearts of palm
- 2 medium sized Ruby grapefruits, cut into segments (here’s our Mumtastic way to segment citrus!)
- ¼ shaved Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Total Prep Time: 15 minutes
In a large mixing or serving bowl, combine the lettuce with the avocado and hearts of palm.
Segment the grapefruit (here’s how), and be sure to save all of the skins and insides! Add the segments to the salad bowl and set aside.
Squeeze all of the excess juice out of the grapefruit skins and membranes into a small mixing bowl. Add the mustard, honey and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Just before you’re ready to serve, add the cheese, almonds and dressing to the salad.