There is something so comforting about risotto.
It is soft, warm, and easy to digest. It is also full of rich hearty flavor and can be dressed up, or dressed down, as desired. Here is my favourite recipe for a simple vegetable based risotto. In this case I tossed in some small cherry tomatoes and some extra cheese. Sometimes I add in cooked mushroom or asparagus spears. Take advantage of the fresh spring produce and enjoy!
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. In a wide saucepan, I usually use my Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat until completely melted.
2. Add shallots and saute until translucent. About 4 minutes.
3. Add rice and stir until it is coated with the butter and mixed with the onion. Then, add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up any browned bits.
4. Simmer until the wine has completely evaporated. Then, add ½ c. of the vegetable stock and stir until it is completely absorbed. Continue adding the vegetable stock by ½ c. until it absorbed. About 10 minutes.
5. Once all the stock has been added, cook until the rice is tender to the bite. About 5 minutes.
6. Remove risotto from heat and add remaining parmesan and butter. Stir until completely absorbed. Serve hot.