Brunch is one of my favourite Mother’s Day traditions. There’s nothing better than starting our day at a pretty table set with flowers and plates full of delicious brunch foods, from eggs to salads, baked goods to mimosas.
We’ve got you nearly covered with this great round-up of Mother’s Day treats. Only one thing is missing: These delicious Orange Ginger Cream Scones.
I’d never been much of a scone person—until these! Too often, scones are dry for my taste. The cream in this recipe changes the game, though. These scones come out of the oven soft and tender, just the way scones should be.
I also love that the dough comes together in the food processor. This recipe is easy enough to make yourself (you’ve got a mama who deserving pampering, too!). Or, if you’re bold, it’s even easy enough to hand over to your husband or (older!) kids. Either way, these are sure to be a hit.
Orange Ginger Cream Scones
makes 10 scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 3 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter, distributing evenly around the top of the dry ingredients. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add cream, ginger, zest and vanilla. Pulse a couple of more times, until dough just comes together. Use a spatula to pull the dough from the walls of the bowl of the food processor and then turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured work surface.
3. Knead the dough until it comes together into a ball. Divide the ball into three 3/4-inch thick rounds—the first two should be roughly 4-inches, the third may be a little smaller. Using a butter knife, cut the first two rounds into four wedges and the smaller round into two wedges. Place the scones on an unlined and ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, until golden brown. Serve fresh out of the oven!