This creamy lemon ice cream has a bright, tangy citrus flavor that is nicely complimented by the dark chocolate freckles.
I say freckles because I chop the chocolate finely and stir them into the cream at the last second. I didn’t want heavy dark chocolate chunks that were too overwhelming. We loved the taste of the ice cream once it had fully chilled. It really tasted like a chocolate dipped lemon peel, one of my favourite desserts!
adapted from David Lebovitz
- 2 lemonds
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ cup shaved dark chocolate
1. Add the lemon zest from 2 lemons and sugar to a food processor and pulse until the lemon zest is very fine. Then add the lemon juice and blend until the sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Add in the cream and salt and pulse the food processor again until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small bowl and chill it in the refrigerator for at least one hours before churning.
3. After an hour, churn the ice cream according to manufacturer’s directions. In the last 2 minutes of churning pour in the dark chocolate shavings. Make sure they are stirred in well. Pour the chilled mixture into a container and freeze until solid. Serve and Enjoy!