I recently moved from NYC to NJ and leaving my hometown was pretty scary for me. There were many things I was going to miss. The most difficult thing was leaving my friends and family, a close second was leaving our our former house, but third thing I already miss desperately is the food.
Being a major foodie, I immediately began to explore my new local food scene. One of the best family outings thus far has been peach picking. NJ has some incredible produce and peaches are at the top of the list. Who knew!? Being from the Big Apple, I’ve been apple picking a gajillion times, but never in my life did I ever pick a peach. The experience was wonderful and the peaches were crazy good. The experience gave me a way to connect to my new hometown and best of all, an excuse to bake up some delicious goodies with our surplus of peaches.
I love to bake. I’m a dessert first kinda gal and have been baking since I was a kid which is why I’m kinda embarrassed to say I’ve never baked with peaches before. I know! Ridic, right?! Lucky for me my new state gave me the perfect excuse to use those bad boys in one divine Peach Crumble Muffin. I purposely created these muffins as a breakfast treat, not so much of a dessert so they aren’t cloyingly sweet, allowing the natural sweetness of the peach to shine through. Even their texture is more sturdy than those store-bought cake-disguised-as-muffins you get at your local coffee shop. I think these muffins are gonna be a new favourite in your house just like they are in mine.
Peach Crumble Muffins
makes 24 muffins
For the topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter
For the Muffins:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups peaches cut into 1/4 – 1/2-inch sized chunks
To Make the Topping:
1. In a medium bowl, toss together brown sugar, flour, oats, almonds and cinnamon and salt.
2. Using a fork, work the butter into the oat mixture until it’s crumbly. Set aside.
To Make The Muffins:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the oven racks. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat until mixture is creamy and light in colour, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time and continue to beat until well combined. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
4. Put machine back on low speed and alternate adding the milk and the flour mixture. Continue to mix until just combined.
5. Remove bowl from machine and fold in peaches by hand. Spoon about 1/3 cup of mixture into each of the prepared muffin cups.
6. Sprinkle the prepared crumble mixture over the muffin batter.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool on wire rack before serving.