When I need a perfect birthday cake, I always think of this Golden Layer Cake with Chocolate Buttercream recipe. The combination is timeless and classic and it's always a crowd pleaser. This cake cake has a delicate crumb that is complimented beautifully by the light and creamy chocolate buttercream icing.
Golden Layer Cake with Chocolate Buttercream recipe
This golden layer cake with chocolate buttercream recipe is a classic crowd pleaser.
- unsalted butter, softened: 2 sticks
- sugar: 2 cups
- large eggs, at room temperature: 4
- milk: 1 cup
- vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- self-rising flour: 1½ cups
- all-purpose flour: 1¼ cups
- unsalted butter, at room temperature (for icing): 2 sticks
- milk (for icing): 2 tablespoons
- semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled (for icing): 6 ounces
- vanilla extract (for icing): 1 teaspoon
- confectioner's sugar, sifted (for icing): 1¼ cups
Step 1: Preheat oven to80 degrees. Grease and lightly flour three 9 - inch round cake pans.
Step 2: Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Step 4: Mix the milk and vanilla together in a small bowl.
Step 5: Combine the flours in a separate bowl and add in two parts alternating with the milk and vanilla mixture, beating well after each addition.
Step 6: Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. While cake is cooling, prepare icing. Ice cake when it is completely cooled.
Step 7: In the bowl of a standing mixer on high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 3 - 4 minutes. Slowly add in the milk and melted chocolate and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy and fully incorporated. Ice cake.