Behold the fruit bowl! To the untrained eye, this bowl of fruit might seem to be nothing more than a humble heaping of banana, peaches, avocado and apples. However if you're a mum or caregiver of an infant or even a toddler, you probably realise that this bowl, and these fruits themselves, contains the potential for serving a large and varied array of meals and snacks.
For beginning eaters, those babies who are just starting out on solid foods around the age of 4-6 months, banana and avocado are super first food choices. These two fruits (yes, the avocado is indeed a fruit) bursting with important and vital nutrients for your baby's development. The banana and the avocado are also the ultimate in convenient, fast food foods! Yes, a super nutritious and natural fast food, imagine that!
To prepare a banana or an avocado for baby's mealtime follow these simple instructions:
1. Remove the peel (and the pit in the case of the avocado).
2. Mash the fruit mash into smithereens – into a nice smooth consistency that your beginning eater will be able to tolerate.
3. Add water, formula or breastmilk to thin the fruit if necessary.
For older babies and toddlers, a quick mashing, simple chopping or dicing of the fruits is all that is needed!
To make a more adventurous meal for your little one, add the following:
- butternut or acorn squash
- whole grains such as brown rice, barley, porridge or even quinoa