I don’t know what compels me to get toast when I’m out at breakfast with my family. Thank goodness the toast trend is dying, as we’re all wising up and realising that this breakfast is better reserved for a homemade meal. This recipe is so good, and as it’s a little reminiscent of pizza, even kids love this for breakfast or as an after school snack. Give this foolproof caprese avocado breakfast toast with basil pesto recipe a try.
Caprese Avocado Breakfast Toast with Basil Pesto Recipe
This is a healthy breakfast or after school snack that's reminiscent of pizza but packed with nutrition.
- whole grain bread: 2 slices, toasted and cut into 4 equal pieces
- avocado: 1, peeled and pit removed
- lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- vine tomato: 1, sliced and then halved
- mozzarella: 4 oz., sliced and then halved
- basil pesto: 2 tablespoons
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper: to taste
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine the avocado and lemon juice and mash until smooth.
Step 2: Spread the mashed avocado evenly onto the squares of toast.
Step 3: Then layer a piece of tomato, followed by a piece of mozzarella. Drizzle the pesto over the top and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.