With the coming of the winter holidays, it’s high time for house guests.
Does preparing for their arrival fill you with anxiety? Here are a few simple tips to help make your house feel like their home.
- Make the bed with fresh sheets and set out fresh towels. Down-alternative pillows and covers are thoughtful touches for those with allergies.
- By the bedside, place a clock and a phone. Also, place a box of tissues, a small garbage can and a carafe and glass for water.
- An extension cord for rooms with hard to reach power outlets is always helpful. If appropriate, an iPod/iPhone dock or charger could be an extra special touch.
- Provide storage for your guests’ belongings such as an empty dresser and/or room in the closet with available hangers.
- A luggage rack raises your guests’ bags to a more accessible height to reduce back strain. When not in use, the luggage rack folds away for easy storage.
- If space on the towel rack is at a premium, you can move your towels to make space or hang a hook over the guest room door.
Image by JP Walters Design
- Test out the bathroom that your guests will be using to ensure that everything is in working order.
- Set out a small assortment of your favourite toiletries to fill in for those left-at-home items. Basics include travel sizes of soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and toothpaste.
- Fresh flowers in a simple vase bring a breath of fresh air, even in the grey winter months
- Selection of snacks for those midnight munchies.
- Small toys for any young visitors.
- Don’t forget to inquire about food or pet allergies so you can prepare your home appropriately.
With just these few simple steps, you can make your guests feel right at home in your home!