Just because the money is sparse, doesn’t mean the fun has to be. This summer take advantage of all of the inexpensive things your family can do together.
Here are ten things to do that will keep you on a family friendly budget.
1. Go bowling! Visit Kids Bowl Free and learn where kids can bowl for free in your area all summer long.
2. Head to a local playground. Check out the new App called Playgrounds that lets you locate, rate and make a playdate for a playground near you.
3. Create a backyard water park. Get out the hoses, sprinklers, kiddie pools and Slip N’ Slides to create your own backyard water fun.
4. Go geocatching. Experience a real-world outdoor scavenger hunt using GPS to locate hidden gems. Click here to learn more.
5. Take advantage of community programs. Many communities host free Family Fun Nights, concerts on the town green and interactive children’s programs. Contact your local town recreation center or town hall to see what’s happening near you.
6. Head to Holiday Bible School. Many churches offer awesome summer programs for kids. Check out an amazing travelling kids ministry that puts on high energy, high impact programs all over the country.
7. Go on a hike. Lace up those shoes and take the family on a hike. Click here, enter your zip code and find a hiking trail in your area.
8. Make homemade ice cream. I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Click here for some great homemade ice cream recipes.
9. Visit a penny candy store. Give each child a few bucks (or have them earn them!) and take them to an old fashioned penny candy store.
10. Be a tourist in your own town. Do all the things people come to your area to do. Ride the scenic tour, visit museums and hit the local landmarks. Be sure to take lots of photos!
Summer fun doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Use these ideas as a springboard for creating your own budget friendly family fun.
What low cost, high fun activities have you done this summer? Share your suggestions for summer family fun on a budget below.