Despite knowing that “back to school” means little more to me now than better TV
programming – since my kids don’t go to school yet – I’ve come down with an odd case of
the school blues.
Between being pummeled by back-to-school ads and reading a plethora
blog posts about bittersweet bus-stop goodbyes, I’m left staring at my flip-flopped feet
wondering, “Where did the summer go?”
To cope with my pre-autumn grief, I’ve listed below what I’ll miss most about this past
summer. (I’ll longingly read it every day from Feb. 1 – April 1 wondering when I’ll ever be able
to shed my parka.)
Summer’s Best Memories List
- A jelly crystals colour pedicure and a comfy pair of flip-flops.
- Watching my toddler and preschooler stomp and splash in the mini rain puddles the afternoon storm left behind.
- Squirrel spotting on morning walks.
- Nearly naked girls fighting over the water hose, filling buckets and trying, kind of, to
- water the plants.
- Denim capris
- The yellow bird that sat outside on my office window sill, tapping to get my attention.
- Skipping the blow dryer and opting for a bun or braid
- Frozen yoghurt
- Blue skies, 80 degrees, slightly breezy days
- My “monkeys” swinging from the low-hanging tree branches in our backyard
- shouting, “Mom, Mummy, look at me.”
- Having every window in the house open
- Fresh cut, blue hydrangeas on my kitchen table
- A whiff of sunscreen as I hug my preschooler who has spent her day practicing swinging
- and making stronger legs.
What did you love best about this summer? Please, pretty please with a cherry on top, share in
the comments below.