Baking in a cast iron skillet is one of my favourite methods for making delicious desserts is and this apple skillet cake is definitely delicious. Don’t have a cast iron skillet? No problem! Use an 9″ cake pan and you will still get amazing results.
Apples and Honey Skillet Cake
Baking in a cast iron skillet is one of my […]
- egg: 1, large
- butter: 6 Tablespoons, softened
- brown sugar: 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract: 1/2 teaspoon
- greek yoghurt: 1/2 cup
- honey: 1/2 cup
- all purpose flour: 1/2 cup
- whole wheat flour: 1/2 cup
- almond meal: 1/2 cup
- baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- baking soda: 1/4 teaspoon
- cinnamon: 2 teaspoons
- salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- apple: 1, halved and thinly sliced
Step 1: Preheat oven to80 degrees and lightly grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet with butter.
Step 2: In a large bowl, cream the butter, egg, and sugar together. Fold in the vanilla extract, yoghurt, and honey. Add the flours, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk until batter is smooth and well incorporated.
Step 3: Pour the batter into your prepared cast iron skillet. Arrange the apple slices in concentric overlapping circles over the batter. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden. Serve warm with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and honey drizzle on top.
*For a non-dairy alternative swap out the butter for vegan "butter" sticks and the greek yoghurt for non-dairy creamer or non-dairy yoghurt.
More Apple Recipes:
- Apple & Honey Trifle Cups to Ease You Into Fall
- Fresh & Simple Baked Stuffed Apples for Dessert
- Apple Pie In a Jar Recipe