There are many things to love about getting pregnant, but stretch marks are not one of them. When I was pregnant with my second son I wanted to try to find a natural and budget-friendly way to keep the dreaded stretch marks at bay. While genetics play a big part of whether or not you get stretch marks, I think we can help prevent them a bit as well. So I created a jar of magic, otherwise known as my DIY homemade stretch mark cream. Here’s how you can make some of your own.
- Shea butter – This is a skin “superfood” that deep moisturises, heals, and helps with skin regeneration.
- Cocoa butter – It’s a high quality emolient, very moisturising for skin.
- Coconut oil – It supports tissue healing and repairs and softens skin.
- Vitamin E oil – It promotes healing.
- Lavender essential oil – It’s believed to have anti-inflammatory properties (plus it is relaxing and smells good).
Step 1: Mix together 2 tablespoons each of shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil.
Step 2: Add 10 drops of vitamin E oil.
Step 3: Place mixture in a thick bottomed pan and stir over low heat until melted.
Step 4: When the mixture is melted, whip with a whisk and then remove from heat.
Step 5: Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil and whip until well mixed.
Step 6: Spoon into and store in an airtight container like a small jam jar or mason jar.
Step 7: Massage regularly on any area where you want to avoid stretch marks. (I recommend the tummy, sides, breasts, and tops of thighs.)
While this makes a good amount of a salve or cream (it’s sort of a mix between the two), you could double the above recipe to have even more on hand.
More Beauty DIYs: