Lately whenever I turn on the TV or flick through a magazine, I’ve noticed that everyone (especially celebrities and those in the media) have perfect pearly whites. I can’t help but stare at their rows of snow-white teeth that just brighten their whole appearance and wonder how much work and/or money has been spent to get that ‘Hollywood Smile.’
Teeth whitening is a lot more accessible these days and not exclusively for famous people. Most dentists now offer this service, as well as specialised stores which are found in many large shopping centres. Even supermarkets are selling efficient products that give us whiter, brighter smiles.
As a big coffee drinker (and a lover of the occasional red wine), I’m always on the hunt for affordable, safe and effective teeth whitening recipes that I can do at home, using easily sourced ingredients. Many of us simply don’t have a huge beauty and cosmetic budget and still others prefer to use more naturally derived products on and in our body.
Here are a few recipes that I’ve either tried myself and recommend or found with great reviews online.
NOTE: When using homemade teeth whiteners, don’t leave the paste on your teeth for too long as the acidic ingredients can eat away at your tooth enamel. Do not whiten your teeth daily or scrub too harshly.
1. Baking Soda & Lemon Juice Paste. Simply cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small dish or bowl. Mix in 1-3 teaspoons of baking soda (depending on how much juice you get from your lemon) to make a creamy paste. Using a toothbrush (I usually use a different toothbrush for this, not my everyday toothbrush) gently scrub the paste over your teeth and let it sit for one minute. Rinse with water.
2. Strawberry Paste. Strawberries contain malic acid which is great for dissolving discolouration from darker foods and drinks, such as tea, coffee, curry and red wine. Not only are strawberries a healthy, antioxidant-rich snack, but they can also contribute to whiter teeth! A friend of mine makes a paste from these teeth-whitening-berries by mashing a couple into one to two teaspoons of baking soda and brushing over teeth with a soft bristle toothbrush.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Mouth Wash. Mix three parts water with one part Apple Cider Vinegar and use as a mouth wash before brushing your teeth with your normal toothpaste. Some studies show that the vinegar activates your mouth’s ability to break down stains and loosen particles on your teeth.
4. Enjoy a Natural Teeth Whitening Diet.
Certain foods can bring a natural shine to your teeth, without harsh chemicals or much effort at all. Crunchy foods such as apples, celery and cauliflower and even hard cheeses can do your smile a favour. Some people even swear that ococonut oil pulling can lead to whiter teeth – if you can handle the texture of the oily substance in your mouth.
A snow-white smile is within your reach, and without costing a fortune or requiring hours of appointments.
Have you tried any of these recipes?
Do you have any other home remedies for whiter, brighter teeth?
More DIY beauty treatments:
- 3 Easy DIY Beauty Treatments for Gorgeous Skin
- 10 Brilliant Ways to Use Honey in Your Beauty Routine
- Easy DIY Dry Shampoo for Light & Dark Hair (Just 5 Ingredients)