We all want stylish and chic furniture on an Ikea budget, right? Well, I’m here to show you how you can turn a raw wood Ikea dresser into something fabulous and expensive looking.
- Ikea Tarva dresser
- white paint (I used Annie Sloan’s chalk paint—no primer needed!)
- gold spray paint
- paint brush, mini paint roller, or preferred method of painting
- painter’s tape (to tape off between white and gold)
- hardware of choice (I used these brass ring pulls with diamond backing.)
Step 1: Remove original hardware/knobs that come with dresser.
Step 2: Remove drawers, and place dresser and drawers on a drop cloth or plastic in a well ventilated area.
Step 3: First paint body of dresser. While that is drying, paint drawers. Apply two coats (you may need three depending on paint used and whether you needed or used a primer).
Step 4: Once you’ve done the number of coats you want and paint is dry, tape off white around base/kickboard of dresser and paint it gold. You may need two coats of gold as well.
Step 5: After all paint is dry, add new gold/brass hardware of your choice. I used these drawer pulls.
Now you have a fabulous dresser that looks very expensive but costs much less. My total cost breaks down like this:
- Ikea dresser: $149 (for 6 drawer)
- paint and supplies: $30 max
- hardware: $50
For a total cost of under $230! And if you have a smaller dresser your cost would be almost half that. What is your favourite Ikea hack?
More DIY Furniture Makeovers: