Growing up in Mexico, mornings were busy there, too. My mum worked, so she had her own morning shortcuts. But there was one simple and smart breakfast shortcut that really filled my heart with joy. We called it energético, which means energetic, as you may already know or have already guessed.
It’s with that same joy that I share this quick breakfast hack with you now. I love the crispy freshness and fragrance of the fruit, as well as the milky mellowness of the creamy topping. But most of all I love the crunchy muesli, made from golden raisins, coconut flakes, pepitas and Cheerios.
Mum would cut up the pineapple, kiwi, and papaya on Sunday night, so all she had to do was take it out of the fridge in the morning. She mixed the cream ahead of time, too.
At breakfast she sliced the apples and bananas, mixed the Cheerios, raisins, coconut flakes, and pepitas together. I know it’s simple, but there is something special about the way these ingredients integrate and balance with each other that makes it so special…and, yes, joyful.
Here is my interpretation of energético:
Crunchy Tropical Breakfast
- mangoes: 2, peeled and sliced
- bananas: 2, peeled and sliced
- gala apples (or any apple): 2, sliced
- kiwi fruit: 2, peeled and sliced
- small papaya (papaya maradol):1/2, peeled and sliced
- small pineapple: 1/3, peeled and sliced
- raspberries: 6 ounces
For the Granola:
- Original Cheerios: 1 1/2 cups
- Multi-grain Cheerios (I mix different Cheerios together to combine different flavors and textures): 1 1/2 cups
- coconut flakes: 1/3 cup
- golden raisins: 1/3 cup
- pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds):1/3 cup
For the Cream:
- (6 oz) piña colada yoghurts (vanilla or other tropical fruit yoghurt will work if you cannot find piña colada): 2
- pouring cream or, for a more indulgent flavor, heavy cream: 6 teaspoons
If you want to make the muesli ahead of time:
Step 1: Mix all the ingredients and store in a well-sealed, plastic storage container to maintain crispiness.
For the cream:
Step 2: Mix the ingredients together with a spoon, cover and store in the fridge overnight.
Step 3: In the morning, layer the sliced fruit on plates, drizzle the cream on top, then finish with a joyful helping of the Cheerios blend.