I am so excited about Super Bowl Sunday! For those of you who don’t know, it is a sports-ing thing during which two teams go on television to have a match to determine who gets to go home with a metal football stuck atop a tall triangle. The bestest player that day gets his own metal football, but without the tall triangle. This all takes about three hours of committed couch time to take in—not including the intense pre-game pontification and fact-spewing that happens between broad men in bold suits who used to play the game on the sports-ing channels starting at dawn.
Now, my favourite thing about this event isn’t even all that sports and metal ball excitement. There is a ton of stuff to look forward to on Super Bowl Sunday, even if you aren’t particularly into the footballing. Brace yourself, because I’m about to throw down a sampler plate of deliciousness that just might get you looking forward to this special day, too. Enjoy!
21 Things I Look Forward to on Super Bowl Sunday
1. My husband insisting we don’t make any plans that day even though the game doesn’t start until dinnertime.
2. Nachos with extra guacamole and cheese.
3. Wearing sweatpants is pretty much mandatory.
4. Chex Mix in all its variations (and its many cousins).
5. Usually my kids’ coaches will make sure there are no games, practices, or clinics that day, so I won’t have to leave the house or be responsible for anything all! Day! Long!
6. Jalapeno poppers.
7. My adorable kids in team jerseys cheering like honorary teammates, or asking us for help in perfecting their smack-talk about the other teams because their favourites didn’t make it. So, I guess we’ll call this “fun family time”?
9. Commercials. You know it. I know it. They are the best part of the day!
11. Laughing each time my husband yells, “OHHHH!” during a particularly good or bad play, startling the bejeezus outta me.
12. Cheese Dips.
13. The halftime show. Will it be amazing? Terrible? Either way: equally entertaining.
14. Pigs in a Blanket. (We really do need more excuses to serve these.)
15. Checking Twitter to see all the hilarious tweets in response to the halftime show.
17. Stealthily slipping away to have the other TV all to myself so I can watch whatever I want in peace while the footballers do their sportsing on the living room TV in front of the rest of my family.
18. Pizza. No—calzones. Actually, BOTH.
19. My husband taking care of bedtime because I fell asleep in front of the other TV.
20. Football cake.
21. Knowing I’ll have a fridge full of amazing leftovers the next day. (Especially that cake. Mmm…)