Homemade take away is the inexpensive version of ‘real’ take away. And it can be just as yummy!
A bowl filled with comforting and creamy peanut coconut noodles to warm your belly! With just a few simple steps, you can make your family a hearty, wholegrain noodle meal. Garnish with roasted peanuts for added crunch.
- brown rice noodles: one 350 gm packet
- coconut oil: 1 tablespoon (or peanut oil)
- shallots, thinly sliced: 2 (or 1 small red onion) plus extra for garnish
- garlic cloves, minced: 3
- ginger, minced: 4 cm piece
- peanut butter: 1/2 cup
- coconut milk (full fat): 1 can
- noodle water, reserved: 1/2 cup
- soy sauce: 2 tablespoons
- curry powder: 1 teaspoon
- chilli flakes: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- bean sprouts: 1/2 cup
- coriander leaves, roughly chopped: 1/2 cup (plus more for garnish)
- roasted peanuts: 1/4 cup (for garnish)
Step 1: Cook noodles according to package instructions (reserve cooking water).
Step 2: In a large pan with high sides, heat oil. Add sliced shallots (or onion) and cook until translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Step 3: Add minced garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 4: Whisk in the peanut butter, coconut milk, reserved noodle water, soy sauce, ground curry powder and chilli flakes. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes, actively whisking.
Step 5: Fold bean sprouts and coriander leaves into the sauce.
Step 6: Add cooked noodles to the pan, and toss until the noodles are evenly coated with the peanut-coconut sauce. Garnish with extra coriander, shallots and chopped peanuts.
More fast and simple family recipes: