My period takes a toll on my skin. My oil glands go into overdrive! If you’re in the same situation, I’ve got some tried and true at-home remedies that have worked wonders for me, as well as some of the best natural products on the market to keep the bad from turning absolutely ugly. Here is how to tame hormonal acne; when possible, the best way is to prevent it altogether!
Even though it’s the hardest thing humanly possible when on your period, keep your diet clean and antioxidant rich (even when all you want is a giant chocolate bar). Drinking lots of water helps, and exfoliating your skin regularly helps to combat oil build-up.
3 At-Home Remedies That Are Super Easy To Do
No time to run to the store? Zap your zits with stuff you probably already have (and as a bonus, feel good about knowing exactly what you’re applying to your skin!).
1. Grab some apple cider vinegar and dab it on the blemish. Leave cider on your blemish for the day and repeat daily. Make sure to just spot treat to not agitate skin.
2. Apply fresh lemon juice to the blemish and leave on overnight. Just please remember that lemon juice makes your skin photosensitive (meaning, the sun could do some damage), so don’t go out into the daylight with lemon juice all over your face.
3. Apply mustard to your problem area(s) and leave for 15 minutes. Mustard is super high in salicylic acid. But mustard also has plenty of vitamin C, omega 3, six fatty acids and zinc, all of which are great for your skin.
For an added bonus, instead of using bottled mustard, add about ⅛ of a teaspoon of mustard powder to 1 teaspoon unfiltered honey and stir well. Use this as a tiny little pimple mask. Wash it off after about 15 minutes.
Product-Based Solutions For Those Who Aren’t DIYers
Don’t be fooled into thinking that you need millions of chemicals to kill that zit!!! Natural remedies are knocking it out of the park these days and are so much better for us in the long run. If we couldn’t put it on our skin while pregnant, why start now?
1. Neutrogena Naturals Facial Cleanser
This inexpensive acne treatment is packed with blemish-busting salicylic acid and non-comedogenic ingredients; it’s also 93 percent natural.
2. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Maximum Strength Spot Treatment Cream
This pimple-zapping powerhouse combines willow bark extract (a natural astringent with anti-inflammatory properties) with the exfoliating powers of natural beta hydroxy acids.
3. The Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Gel
Tea tree oil has unique disinfecting and soothing properties and, unlike other acne treatments, will not strip your skin of its natural oils and cause further damage.
More skin care tips: